A Q & A with Christen!
1. What was your primary inspiration for becoming certified as a yoga instructor?
I accidentally found yoga at a time when I was struggling with anxiety and depression. After my first class, I felt like I could take a deep breath for the first time in ages. Soon after, I decided I wanted to share this healing practice with others.
2. What is your favorite yoga posture when waiting in line?
Basic forward fold! My hamstrings have always been super tight. Bandhas are also a fun and sneaky way to practice yoga in public.
3. Which Superhero do you most identify with?
4. When disturbed/angry/upset, what is the thing you think/say/do to calm yourself down?
Reading, writing, and being in nature are my grounding practices.
5. Favorite song/band/group?
I have so many! My mood really decides my music taste. I tend to listen to a lot of Bon Iver, Jack Johnson, and several instrumental artists like Tycho.
6. Favorite food?
I love potstickers/dumplings. I think I could eat a million in one sitting.
7. Whats your advice for a new student?
Have your own practice, don’t worry what everyone else is doing or what you look like compared to anyone else. Focus on your breath.
8. What is the first thing you think when you wake up?
Right now I tend to think about what my day ahead holds, but I would like to get to a place where the beginning of my day is quiet, grounding, and contemplative.
9. What song best describes your life?
Haha hmmm…Colors of the Wind from Pocahontas would be a good one.
10. What is your guilty pleasure?
I’m trying to get away from guilt because it serves no healthy purpose in our lives. If I make the conscious choice to do something, I’m not going to contaminate that pleasure with guilt.
11.What motivates you?
I have a lot of very encouraging and inspiring people in my life. I’m working on motivating myself by living a deep and authentic life in which I find motivation in my own heart.
12. Name at least one special talent beyond teaching yoga.
I can sing rather well and I give a pretty nice massage!
13. Do you have any pets?
Yes! I’m a cat lady.
14. Name the cities you’ve lived.
15. What is your favorite smell?
Fresh Lavender, fresh cut grass, Cilantro, soil.
16. Describe your first yoga class.
Very very hot, very dark, felt like a near death experience.
17. Who was your celebrity childhood crush?
Childhood…probably Lance Bass.
18. Words/Phrases you most overuse?
“Oh my gourd”
19.When is your birthday and astrological sign?
April 22 (Earth Day!) I’m a Taurus.
20. Describe your favorite yoga shorts.
I tend not to practice in shorts. I like pants and capris and I like a tight fit that doesn’t shift during practice but is still comfortable.